Understanding Legionella and Legionnaire’s Disease
Over the last year, there has been a significant increase in the reports of Legionnaire’s Disease due to exposure of bathers to Legionella bacteria at aquatic facilities. While deadly outbreaks of Legionnaire’s Disease are not a daily headline, the actual occurrence of Legionnaire’s Disease is widely known to be significantly under-recognized and under-reported. This presentation will educate the aquatics community on the basic biology of Legionella, examine the health effects and risks associated with Legionella, and define strategies that can be implemented to reduce Legionella exposure in hot tubs and swimming pools.
- Examine the current status of Legionnaire’s Disease in the aquatics industry.
- Discuss the unique biology of the Legionella bacteria.
- Identify health effects and risks of Legionnaire’s Disease.
- Review issues with hot tubs and pools that can lead to Legionella exposure.
- Identify strategies to reduce exposure to Legionella and decrease the risk of Legionnaire’s Disease.
Presenter: Vance D. Fiegel
This course is owned and maintained by PHTA. Upon purchasing this course, you should receive your login information from PHTA within one week.